Head of Procurement Change and CapabilityAdded on 15/12/2023
In this role, you will join our clients’ Commercial Services – Enablement and Performance team, reporting directly into the Director of this function. We’re looking for a procurement/ commercial professional with a change management background, ideally from the public sector but open to private sector with a level of understanding of the public sector.
Our client has an annual spend of between £800m – £900m covering a diverse range of Indirect and Direct categories. This role is responsible for the portfolio of commercial change, capability uplift and development across the organisation. You will deliver improvements in procurement capability for the Commercial team as well as the wider upskilling of the business. You will also be responsible for the communications strategy for the Commercial Services team, specifically the commercial ‘brand’ within and outside of the organisation, as well as driving improvements in Talent and Performance Management processes
What does the average day look like? Your core duties will include (but are not limited to):
- Setting and governing the portfolio of change, driving vision for this overall change and bringing together and linking to strategy.
- Working with internal and external stakeholders to lead and champion change, along with being responsible for the effective and engaging communication of this to internal and external stakeholders.
- Defining the commercial ‘brand’ management activity needed within the Commercial function, and working with individuals to deliver on enabling this.
- Driving performance management of individuals within the commercial function, and understanding the overall capabilities and performance that the function needs.
- Actively promoting L&D, development and career opportunities that will enhance commercial capability within the Commercial team and the wider organisation.
- Identify and access commercial capability uplift products including leadership programmes, assessment centre and other training products
- Lead on the L&D work stream for Transforming Public Procurement to implement and embed the changes in procurement regulations across the organisation.
- Management of the Change & Capability team, and ensuring the team delivers on activities within its plan.
- Delivery of talent management initiatives, including succession planning.
- Delivery and quality assurance of the commercial apprenticeship programme to support the development of an early talent pipeline into the Commercial team.
- Oversight of the recruitment pipeline for the function and relationship/ contract management of Commercial’s recruitment search partners.
- Designing and running a set of initiatives to increase commercial capability.
- Nominated representative for commercial change and capability activities at key governance forums (e.g. Steering committee/ etc…)
- Experience of designing, developing and rolling out capability improvement and development programmes and initiatives in a complex environment, preferably within a commercial or procurement function, and ideally within a public sector, regulated or unionised organisation.
- A sound understanding and experience of setting capability standards, competency frameworks and supporting the employee lifecycle through effective performance management, personal and professional development, and development of high performance teams and functions.
- Experience in change management, leading and embedding continuous improvement activities, and delivering sustainable change in a diverse and complex environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to influence others and gain consensus, build effective relationships at all levels within an organisation and with external stakeholders, and to build trust and credibility through strong professional presence and behaviours.
- Track record of team leadership and people development in a diverse and complex environment.
The Procurement Hive is a procurement consultancy and procurement recruitment business.
Transform your talent – Our People on Demand service utilises over 35 years of combined experience, recruiting supply chain and procurement talent for a wide range of organisations across the globe.
The Procurement Hive celebrates and supports diversity and is committed to ensuring equal opportunities for both employees and applicants.